A brief history
In 1944, Pastors Bernard Kinman and Ron Derbyshire came to hold some Gospel meetings in order to open a Seventh-day Adventist Church in Carlisle. The meetings were well attended and a number of people and families accepted Christ as their Saviour and a Church was established. They met in an upstairs room in a hotel in West Walls. They worshipped there for many years. Then the centre of the town was redeveloped and the hotel in which they met was demolished. They purchased a property which had been previously a Jehovah Witness meeting place. Unfortunately the Church was vandalized many times until the members decided to move. For a period of time they met in rented rooms until 1982 when a property was purchased near the town centre. It is in a good position as it is opposite the very imposing Carlisle Castle. This building had previously been a Rope store and then a Printing workshop. Pastor Hensman and the Church members refurbished the building and made it into a very fine Church.
In the last few years the church building has been considerably improved.
We very much appreciate the financial help given to us by the North England Conference and the hard work of our Church members, especially Don McKay, who has done the greater part of the work. We in Carlisle are very proud of our beautiful Church and visitors to the Lake District are always made welcome. If you are ever in the district do please pay us a visit.